Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hispanic hotel workers

I think we can all agree that Larry Whitten's probably racist. More importantly, he's stupid. If this was another region of the United States (let's say Nebraska), then his decision would be no less wrong, but I think we could agree that it might be a little justified. Folks in the good ol' white bread Midwest might have a little more difficulty adjusting to the Hispanic names and such. But this is New Mexico, for crying out loud. Now, I'm not an expert on New Mexico, but it seems to me that the population there comprises a good chunk of Hispanics. You would expect guests to be used to Hispanic culture and to Spanish being spoken in their presence.

In short, I think what we have here is one man shooting himself in the foot with his personal preferences. His logic for doing this is misguided, and frankly, I don't think that customers are going to care whether they have to say "Mar-teen" or "Martin." This is America. Some people have ethnic names. Get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment